Re: [gdome]gdome object model

On Sun, 25 Feb 2001, Paolo Casarini wrote:

> On 24 Feb 2001, Mathieu Lacage wrote:
>
> > Le 24 Feb 2001 09:14:57 +0100, Paolo Casarini a écrit :
> > > I'm not saying that the way objetcs in gdome are implemented is wrong, it
> > > seems to be complete and good, but if a developer wants to implement a
> > > gnome applications using dom has to learn and use two different way to
> > > implement objects in C.
> >
> > 1) Users do not need to learn the object system of gdome to use it: they
> > should not need to create their own objects.
> DOM (Document Object Model) is to be used by higher-level application. DOM
> give a generic object oriented approach to any XML document. Then it was
> created to give to a developer a set of generic class  to be
> subclassed to realize specific abstraction.
>
> For example, if I want to realize an address book application I'll have to
> implement a class "person" with some methods like "getAddress" or
> "getPhoneNumber" and so on. This class should be a subclass of Element.

Well, not necessarily. It is jus the way YOU would do it. Obviously, the
spirit in which gdome was designed would be to design a friend class which
implements this and acts as a friendly wrapper around the actual DOM
methods.

> In my opinion, gdome couldn't be a simple C API library, but an object
> oriented layer to make easy to develop object oriented gnome applications
> based on the XML technology.

This is obviously a different design goal than that of gdome. It is
obviously not necessary to have a usfull DOM implementation and to do what
you want to do with it. Instead of uinheritingm you just write wrapper
classes.

I am not saying one approach is better than the other one but I am saying
that the gdome way is clearly not the one you want to do.

Regards,
Mathieu.