Re: [gdome]RFC: Using XSLT and SAX with XML::GDOME

On Wed, 26 Dec 2001, Luca Padovani wrote:

> I don't know much about the Perl wrapper for libxml, however, heer are my
> comments: I think that as gdome becomes more popular, users should in
> general forget about libxml at all. The API of libxml has main
> disadvantages:
> - lack of any memory management system
> - it is not compliant to any API specification

This is what I'm considering doing, making XML::GDOME a self-contained
module that doesn't require XML::LibXML or XML::LibXSLT.  I'm thinking
more and more that this would be the cleanest solution

> Now, to provide libxstl in the gdome way, I think we should write a small
> wrapper for libxslt so that any communication is eventually done via gdome
> structures. On top of this, you can provide the corresponding perl
> wrapper.

Are you proposing to add a libxslt wrapper to the libgdome library as an
optional module if libxslt is available?

I was thinking of doing this in the Perl XS layer, but I don't see any
reason not to do it in the libgdome C library instead.

> On the other hand, it is not clear to me what you mean with "SAX for
> gdome", since in SAX there's no concept of tree node. The SAX API gives
> you a stream of events, there's no tree at all. As in libxml, SAX API can
> be used to built up the DOM tree.

The goal is to build a XML::GDOME tree from a series of SAX events, and to
generate a series of SAX events from a XML::GDOME node.  I've never had to
do something like this, but I can see how it would be useful.

-TJ