[gdm-list] GDM with other Desktop Environments

Greetings GDM Community,

I have a question about using GDM with other desktop environments. (i. e. XFCE and KDE)  Our organization is currently running IPA with smart card support and would like to know if it is possible to call the GDM Lock Screen from within other desktop environments.  At the moment, if one of our users prefers to use XFCE over the GNOME-Shell Environment the administrator would need to install xscreensaver in order to lock the screen.  Unfortunately, xscreensaver doesn't seem to work well with IPA and smartcards as expected.

While trying to research the problem, I have come across a suggested fix by using the dbus-send command to call the lock-screen, but it doesn't seem to work on GDM 3.14.2.

Is there anyone on this mailing list who has successfully implemented the GDM Lock Screen across other desktop environments?

Sincerely,
--
Michael Rainey