[gdm-list] Background image is lost after sleep

When waking my pc from sleep the background image and the lock-screen image are missing, I see a zig-zagged series of black and white bands instead.  Resetting (alt-f2 r) brings them back.
Is there anything I can tweak on a wake-from-sleep event to reset the images?
Or any way to trace the events that may be causing the images to get lost?

Running Debian testing, gnome 3.14, with nvidia proprietary drivers.