Re: [gdm-list] How to setup gdm on a basic system

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 8:44 AM, John Frankish <j-frankish slb com> wrote:
I'm trying to use gdm on a very basic system using components compiled separately, "linux from scratch"
style using the 3.10.x version of the various gnome components.

Although gdm starts, it does not start properly - there's no top panel, side panel, etc.

Is there any documentation available that explains how to use gdm on a basic system:

What is required in .xsession?
What is required in terms of linux-pam/polkit rules?

Although I have debug enabled, all I get at the moment is:

gdm[15620]: Enabling debugging
gdm[15620]: Changing user:group to tc:staff
gdm[15620]: Failed to create ran once marker dir /var/run/gdm: Operation not permitted
Hi, try to set up the gdm dir to be owned by the user gdm is run as. Usually you have a gdm user.

This system has only three combinations of user/group:
tc:staff, root:staff and root:root
gdm was compiled with switches to set the user:group to tc:staff

gdm[15620]: GLib: GError set over the top of a previous GError or uninitialized memory.
 This indicates a bug in someone's code. You must ensure an error is NULL before it's set.
The overwriting error message was: Operation not permitted
gdm[15620]: Failed to create LogDir /var/log/gdm: Operation not permitted
Same here, seems a permissions problem.

In fact this error occurs even when gdm is started as root, which perhaps indicates something is needed in
terms of linux-pam/polkit rules for gdm, but if so, what?
gdm[15620]: Only the root user can run GDM