Re: [gdm-list] gdm-list Digest, Vol 104, Issue 1

We have server systems running Gnome Display Manager which remote users use to start an X session with XDMCP. This puts messages in /var/log/secure at every connect/disconnect, related to polkit. We don't need the users authenticated for console activities like mounting a CD drive. Want to not have these messages being logged. How can they be stopped? CentOS 6.5 is OS; Gnome version is 2.28. Thanks.

i'm not the maintainer of gdm but did write:

  http://sourceforge.net/projects/xdm-options/

unsure why one would care about /var/log style logging - deleting log files regularly is day-in day-out stuff and there's software to do it.

you have many options using unix

one is you can point file to /dev/null (if there are few open restrictions). note it may barf if your file (link, socket, what) has incompatible permissions set (it may exit/fail on file open of that file)