[gdm-list] Is gdm wrapper script necesary nowadays?

Hello there. I am looking at latest gdm build system and I noticed a gdm.in file, which will produce wrapper script which starts gdm-binary later on.

The question is, is this script necesary nowadays? From what I see it just reads /etc/profile which in most cases sets only PATH and PS1 from what I've seen. And another file that it reads is /etc/sysconfig/language which is some distro specific (Redhat?) because I've never seen it on Debian based distros or Archlinux.

As for the LANG, since gdm has mostly migrated to systemd, it should be set by systemd-localed, right? Or in worst case, you can use pam_env module for passing anything to gdm iirc. I've modified autotools files to rename gdm-binary to gdm and removed the wrapper script ... Nothing failed yet, and lang was always set with systemd or without systemd (with pam_env module).