[gdm-list] Gnome desktop and /etc/skel, plus mouse-grab control

Hi Guys,
Using ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick)

When I create a new user, I want their desktop to have a launcher for xterm already on their top launcher bar.

Manually I would just drag a terminal from the applications drop-down to the launcher bar, and then edit its properties to launch xterm instead of gnome-terminal. Once I've done this, I can find it in one of the user's .gconf directories, and logically I would want to copy this directory to /etc/skel

But

Gnome desktop does not copy its files to the user's home directory until the user actually logs in for the first time, so I am guessing that copying this directory to /etc/skel is not the neatest solution.

Does anyone know where gnome keeps its own equivalent of /etc/skel, so that I can make my customisation there?

Also, the xterm that comes with ubuntu 10.10 has such narrow borders (which is why I want to use it instead of gnome terminal) that it is very difficult to resize. Does anyone know if I can set a mouse-pointer grabbing factor somewhere?

Thanks in advance,
Zoltan

Zoltan Szecsei PrGISc [PGP0031]
Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.

65 Main Road, Muizenberg 7945
Western Cape, South Africa.

34° 6'16.35"S 18°28'5.62"E

Tel: +27-21-7884897  Mobile: +27-83-6004028
Fax: +27-86-6115323     www.geograph.co.za