[gdm-list] GDM behavior on dual head config

Hi!

I've been struggling getting this right for a few month now (it's obviously not vital) and I am wondering what I am doing wrong, or how it's supposed to work:

I use a dual head setup with 2 different resolutions monitors.

1. Without adding a xorg.conf file the higher resolution monitor appears in a very low resolution and that's unfortunately where my login box is. I've tried to switch it on the other monitor without any luck. In that configuration however the other screen is just an extension of the main screen and is empty (except for the wallpaper).

2. Adding a xorg.conf file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ specifying the exact resolution for that monitor I get both monitors in the proper resolution but then the 2 monitors get set in 'mirror' mode. Not having the same dimension the gnome-shell top bar then stops before the side of one of the 2 screens. (one monitor is 1200pixel wide, the other 1280).

I have attached the 2 xorg files (one of the monitor is in portrait mode forcing me to have a xorg file even in case 1, else the login box is tilted by 90°). .conf1 is for case 1 and .conf2 is for case 2.

This happens on the pieces of hardware I have been playing with. So it seems to be a stable behavior.

Thank you to let me know what I'm doing wrong or indicate what the expected behavior should be then.

Fred

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"HDMI-0"
	ModelName	"DELL"