Re: [gdm-list] A review of patches in Debian packaging

Hi,

Le vendredi 09 juillet 2010 à 00:54 -0400, Ray Strode a écrit :
> Hi,
> >> 01_minimal_uid.patch
> >>         Debian-specific. Non-system UIDs start at 1000 for us.
> >>         What would be nice would be a way to specify this information as
> >>         a configure option.
> >
> > The old GDM allowed sysadmins or distros to configure this in the GDM
> > daemon configuration.  Perhaps it makes sense to add this configuration
> > option back so distros can set it as needed in their default
> > configuration file.
> since it's distro specific, a configure option seems better than a
> config file option.  Note there's an open bug about parsing login.defs
> which probably makes sense here.

Parsing login.defs sounds like the best thing to do. There are other
useful things in it, like the default umask and path.

> >> 06_first_vt.patch
> >>         This patch reintroduces the TTY manager from GDM 2.20 instead of
> >>         letting X decide on which VT to run. Letting X decide makes it
> >>         start on tty1 and crash as soon as getty does the same. There
> >>         was broad consensus among Debian developers that neither GDM nor
> >>         graphical boot thingies should not interfere with tty1 to tty6.
> >
> > Ray and Jon are more familiar with how the new GDM works with display
> > switching, so I'll defer to their thoughts about this.
> why is gdm getting started before the gettys?

The gettys are always started last since they are in the inittab, while
GDM is in an init script. Furthermore we use a dependency-based boot,
which makes GDM start a lot earlier.

> >> 08_frequent-users_greeter.patch
> >>         To be sure the greeter doesn’t show users that shouldn’t be here
> >>         for one reason or another, this patch sets the session type to
> >>         "gdm" for user sessions, and requests to CK only sessions
> >>         corresponding to this type.
> >
> > I'm not clear about what this patch does, or what problem it is trying
> > to solve.  Is there a bug report that we could review, or any additional
> > information you could provide?
> So you don't want users that login at a getty to show up in the gdm user list?

It’s more about users that log in remotely, or cron jobs, or users that
should have an UID < 1000 but don’t. Think of this as a safeguard
against adding whatever useless things could appear in the ck-history
output.

> >> 09_default_session.patch
> >>         Use a default session set through alternatives instead of
> >>         hardcoding gnome.session. See GNOME #594733
> >
> If we can't find gnome.desktop then we pick the first available
> session in the directory (sorted), so you should be able to create a
> symlink using alternatives in there with a name like 00-blah.desktop

This means GNOME will be always loaded as soon as it is installed. Using
alternatives allows to configure the default session on the system.

> >> 18_switch_kill_greeter.patch
> >> 20_endsession_respawn.patch
> >>         As explained in GNOME #618047, user switching leaves a X server
> >>         behind, which is not acceptable. It also has inconsistencies in
> >>         terms of interface. All of it is built on the premise that X
> >>         switches VTs by itself when dying, which is not right when
> >>         launched from a display manager. Luckily there is a X server
> >>         flag to disable this behavior (-novtswitch) so we have reworked
> >>         user experience around it.
> >
> > I think Jon or Ray is the best person to look over this.
> Last time I looked at -novtswitch it didn't work properly, and when I
> talked to X people about it they said it wasn't likely to work
> properly.  That was a long time ago though, maybe things are better
> now.

I haven’t received a single bug report about user switching since we
enabled it. The only drawback is that it is Linux-only.

I’ll file bugs with the patches you already think useful.

Cheers,
--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :