Re: [gdm-list] gnome-screensaver authenticates users through GDM

Jeff Cai wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-01-15 at 10:02 -0800, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
>> Brian Cameron wrote:
>>>    Another advantage is that on the console, this could be written so
>>>    the authentication dialog screen is presented on a separate VT and
>>>    runs as the "gdm" user, providing better TrustedPath security.  This,
>>>    for example, ensures that the authentication dialog is not using
>>>    the same Xauth cookie as the user's session, avoiding any possible
>>>    interference or snooping from a userland program.
>> Running unlock on another X server actually provides even more benefits:
>
> Currently, before a user logs in GNOME, I find root user's Xorg keeps
> running. Why it is not a normal user's X server like 'gdm'?

Xorg starts as root to have the permissions needed open & initialize devices.
On Solaris & OpenSolaris, there's a backchannel between gdm & Xorg to provide
a username to switch to when it should run as someone else - this happens at
login, but presumably not for the mini-session gdm now runs before login.
(I suppose it could do so, would just need to update the gdm patch that does
 so - but I haven't verified that Xorg can switch uids between non-root users
 without restarting - that would need to be tested.)

--
	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan coopersmith sun com