Re: [gdm-list] Multi-seat and multi-display support design

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 10:53:12AM +0800, Halton Huo wrote:
> Perhaps he does not like this because putting such configuration at the
> ConsoleKit layer makes it harder to integrate ConsoleKit into other
> display managers like KDM.

yes, it potentially restricts alternative designs too much.
ConsoleKit should be a registry which keeps and relays information about
seats and sessions, but should not be the authoritative source for this
information.

> If so, then we would need to redesign our solution so it works more
> similarly to the original gdmdynamic patch which talked directly to GDM
> and not to ConsoleKit.

i don't mind a ck-dynamic command as such. it could just relay "new
display" requests to the display manager.

anyway, this is your exclusive playground, as i currently simply don't
have enough time to actively contribute. i just don't want to find
myself in a situation where i cannot innovate because of having to
adhere to a system-wide design which is too restrictive and cannot be
changed for compatibility reasons.

if you haven't done so yet, you should have a look at kdm's
configuration to avoid creating something which is incompatible from the
onset -
http://docs.kde.org/stable/en/kdebase-workspace/kdm/kdm-files.html
from what i've seen, your seat-related config is fairly similar to mine
(well, there isn't that much room for alternatives). the most notable
thing about kdm's configuration is the hierarchical design (directly
based on X resources), which saves some duplication.