[gdm-list] how to format banner_message_text

Folks:

Subject line just about says it all -

I need to display a rather long formated message on the login screen.
In previous editions of gdm I was able to set InfoMsgText equal to a
formated file and all was well but it appears that this option is no
longer supported in 2.24.0 so I'm left with using using
banner_message_text.  My immediate problem is that I can't figure out
how to format the text.  I tried \n, /\n, and html such as <br> to end a
line or get a blank line to no avail.

Question - is it possible to format the text or does banner_message_text
only allow for a continuous string without multiple end of lines and
blank lines?

Thanks for any help sent my way!

Michael