[gdm-list] Two Displays Problem

My system is Debian Lenny with an Ubuntu chroot. To use the Ubuntu chroot I must stop the Lenny gdm and vice versa. I have tried editing gdm.conf for each system and inserting in [daemon] a line FirstVT=7 for Lenny and FirstVT=9 for Ubuntu plus VTAllocation=true for both. I have also inserted in [servers] a line 0=standard for Lenny and 1=standard for Ubuntu.

None of these changes solves the problem although they do ensure that the Lenny window is at F7 and the Ubuntu window is at F9. (F8 is a console for Ubuntu and this works fine thus allowing me to edit gdm.conf for Ubuntu.)

Is there a solution to my problem and, if so, what am I doing wrong?