Re: [gdm-list] Changing gdm messages

Thanks Brian. I'll look further into PAM modules. I guess it is, but just to make sure, is it the same for error messages ?

Guillaume.

On 14/12/2009 17:41, Brian Cameron wrote:
Guillaume:

Is there a way to change GDM messages (for example, let's say that I want to change the "Username" prompt into "Whatever") without recompiling it ?

Normally GDM just uses PAM (Pluggable Authentication Modules) to
drive the authentication conversation.  Prompts provided to the
user come from PAM modules.

If you wanted to change the messages, you would need to write your own
PAM modules that provide different prompts.  Or, check if the PAM
modules that you are currently using provide configuration options.

Note that PAM modules tend to differ between distros, so suggestions
that apply to one distro may not apply to another.

Brian