Re: [gdm-list] limiting access

On Monday 08 September 2008 09:16:50 pm Brian Cameron wrote:
> Yan:
>
> You could set up some cron jobs.  You could run gdm-stop to terminate
> all user sessions and run gdm-start to allow users to start logging in
> again.  There are probably a variety of mechanism you could use via cron
> to give the users some advance warning of the shutdown.

OK, I can do that.  Now I have to figure out an xorg equivalent of 'wall'....
I know it's out there, I just can't lay my hands on it....

> The drawback with this approach is that GDM simply won't manage the
> displays while turned off, so you would need to figure out some
> mechanism to display the "user logins are not permitted" message on
> each display.

Right.  I really want gdm to do that; it would make life simpler if the
machine is rebooted during the 'no login' period to have gdm check the time
and select the appropriate login screen.  Is there somewhere in the /etc/gdm
hierarchy where I can hook into one of scripts and hack up a time check, and
then select a login theme?

> During the "down" period you could restart GDM with a PAM stack
> which denies all login attempts and displays the "user logins are
> not permitted" message if you really wanted this message to come from
> GDM.  As I say, there are probably other methods you could use to
> display such a message, though.

I'm not that familiar with PAM + gdm - it all 'just works' and I have not
needed to dig in to PAM a whole lot.

How do I start gdm with a custom PAM stack?  I only need to deny logins on the
X sessions, not on the command line.

Lots of questions, and I appreciate any help I can get.  This is for a school,
and I am denying logins during morning roll call and class startup.

Thanks,

--Yan