Re: [gdm-list] Future of multi-display support in GDM

Paulo Zanoni wrote:
Just to complement your e-mail:

mdm, the "multiseat (pseudo-)display manager", if configured to use
GDM, uses gdmdynamic to handle its Xservers.

gdmdynamic is waaay much better than specifying multiple xservers in
gdm.conf, because mdm (or multiseat users) shouldn't need to create a
new gdm.conf whenever it detects a new video output on the system, it
just needs to use a properly configured gdm.conf  and never need to
change gdm.conf again (imagine the case when the user adds a new video
card on the system, or when its video card starts supporting multiple
outputs, gdm.conf would have to be changed, which is bad).

Looks like if newer versions of GDM don't support gdmdynamic some
multiseat users will get angry.

If you're wondering about what exactly does mdm do, take a look at the
file that calls gdmdynamic:

http://git.c3sl.ufpr.br/gitweb?p=multiseat/mdm.git;a=blob;f=extra-modes/xephyr-gdm/src/xephyr-gdm;h=3e88e657df587fe14e478ac54bb60728b11dc870;hb=HEAD

And this is the gdm.conf that it uses:

http://git.c3sl.ufpr.br/gitweb?p=multiseat/mdm.git;a=blob;f=extra-modes/xephyr-gdm/gdm-config/gdm.conf-custom;h=327b3547f518ffa2aff87f85e352af1c8b391780;hb=HEAD

For more information about mdm:

http://wiki.c3sl.ufpr.br/multiseat/index.php/Mdm

Hi Paulo:

I hadn't heard of gdm dropping support for gdmdynamic. That would not be good. Any more information on that?

I have two wish items for gdm in re mdm: autologin on arbitrary heads and the ability to specify custom themes, per head ideally. It would be good, for example, to provide a login with the terminal name and an icon.

I started to look at the code, and it doesn't look too difficult, but my real job interfered.... (I have a large project that is 6 months late and still falling behind.... So my focus is on that, and probably will be through the new year. :-( )

--Yan