Re: [gdm-list] STDLOGIN support

Xavier:

I see in the docs that this interface is supported in Solaris for
restarting the X sever as the login user. Where is the code that
implements this support, I looked around but it isn't obvious? Could
similar functionality (server restart as login user) be implemented
for other OSs, like Fedora?

This is only supported in GDM 2.20 and earlier.  GDM 2.22 doesn't yet
support this kind of interface.  Solaris will patch the new GDM rewrite
to continue using this interface.

At the moment, the interfaces for making this work are patched into
Sun's Xserver code, and isn't generally available to other Xorg users.

I know that Alan Coopersmith of the Sun Xserver team has been planning
to work with the upstream Xorg community to make this feature more
general, so it can be supported on other platforms.  However, I know
Alan has been busy and I am guessing he probably won't have time to
work on this in the near future.  However, I think the security
advantages of this sort of feature has obvious advantages, so it would
be good to further encourage the Xorg project to consider adding a
more supported public interface for doing this.  Might be good to
make sure there is an enhancement request filed in the Xorg bugzilla
database about this.

Brian