Re: [gdm-list] gdmflexiserver questions

On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 1:07 PM, Reid Rivenburgh <reidr pobox com> wrote:
> I thought I'd post some new info about this problem, in case anyone
> has ideas.  I'm still seeing this issue where gdm will start a brand
> new session and X server when I run gdmflexiserver (not using "-s"
> now).

I finally solved this, so I thought I'd post on the off-off-chance
someone else runs into something similar.

I have a continuously running process that checks for idleness.  It's
a simple perl program that calls dbus-monitor.  (I can post the code,
if anyone's interested.)  When it detects that X is idle, it calls
gdmflexiserver.  Now, it apparently is the case that when I manually
call gdmflexiserver, that immediately signals idless, calling my perl
program and firing off gdmflexiserver a second time.  Oops!  I didn't
realize it worked that way but was tipped off when I happened to run
the screensaver and found myself at the gdm greeter.  The fix for
this, of course, is to start the screensaver when I want to "log out",
not run gdmflexiserver.  One mystery solved....

reid