Re: [gdm-list] List of useful GDM features/config options

On Jan 29, 2008 3:57 PM, Hans Petter Jansson <hpj novell com> wrote:
> We had a discussion the other day about what options need to be
> re-implemented in the upcoming GDM.
>
> Here's a list of GDM features/configurable options I think we need,
> based on bugzilla.novell.com and experience with SLED customers. I've tried
> to keep it short:

Not to be a party pooper, but I don't believe listing everyone
favourite options is going to  be very effective. Every existing
option will have at least one proponent who says 'probably desirable'.
Frankly, a lot of the options
in the current gdm configuration look like they happened that way...

What I'd like to see is discussed is the use cases that are supported
by the current options. Once we have an idea what those are, we can
look at
the amount and kind of configurability that is needed for them.

In some cases, it may make more sense to move the configurability to
some other place. E.g. seat configuration will probably make more
sense
in ConsoleKit. And with Reboot/Shutdown being offered as a service
by ConsoleKit or hal, there is little reason for gdm to have its own
knobs for configuring that.

Matthias