Re: [gdm-list] Launching x-application problem

Yi-Di:

Is it possible to launch an x-application when GDM starts, i.e, seeing GDM login sreen and the x-application on the display
Adding run command in /etc/gdm/Init/Default doesn't work for me.
I also try to use BackgroundProgram in gdm.conf which is useless, too.

Hmmm.  Both approaches you mention should work.  You might try changing
the location of where you launch the program in the Init script.  I've
had some people report that they added something to the script without
realizing that the section of the code where they added never gets
executed.

Also, are you launching the command with a "&" at the end?  Note the
Init script will hang if you do not include the "&".  This may or may
not be desirable.  If you have a pop-up with an "OK" button you want
the user to click on before continuing, then you do not want the "&",
for example.  If you want the program to start and run with the login
screen you probably want the "&".

If there is a problem with BackgroundProgram, it would perhaps help
if you turned on debug and shared the gdm-related messages in your
syslog to help you debug why this is not working.  Also you may
need to set RunBackgroundProgramAlways=true.

Brian