Re: [gdm-list] GDM idea that needs help

Sean:

I'm currently working on artwork with the gnome art team but need some
help with a GDM implementation. I attach two images, one is a old real
GDM properly implemented, the other is a new mockup design that should
work the same way.

1. How can the username login box fit better with the background, it
currently looks just not part of the hole design.

GDM greeter theme layout works by using the "rect" item type.  You need
to make sure that the "entry" item type with id="user-pw-entry" is
inside a rect that corresponds to the area you want the box to show
up inside.

Looking at your theme, this looks a bit tricky since you have the
leaf drawn in front of the box which looks like it is supposed to
contain the entry field.

You can use the following sorts of elements to get a high degree of
control over how widgets are laid out.

<pos anchor="" x="" y="" width="" height="">

However, getting the effect of the leaf over the entry background area
might be a bit tricky to achieve.  Especially to make it work at all
screen resolutions.

You might be able to place the rectangle which contains the leaf image
on top of the rectangle that contains the entry field, even though its
dimensions are bigger.  However, this might result in odd behavior
at some resolutions.  You'll need to test.

2. The user name container needs to be transparent because it just looks
odd being solid, if not how can it blend in better with the current
implementation?

You can try setting the "alpha" element.  However, I seem to remember
that entry fields in GDM themes do not support alpha.  This feature
would need to be added.

Or, perhaps you could get this via setting up a GtkRC file and defining
alpha for the entry field there, then using specifying the GtkRC file in
the GDM  configuration file or in the theme's <greeter> tag.  I'm not
really that familiar with GtkRC files, so I'm not sure if this is
possible, but it might be worth investigating.

3. Currently it only works with my resolution(1440x900) all centred, is
it possible to implement with all resolutions?(it's SVG not no scaling
issues)

For a GDM greeter theme to scale well, the rectangle anchors and
positions need to be set properly.  You would likely have problems
if you are using absolute values.  It would probably be better to
try to try and anchor around the screen center for things like
the entry field.

Brian