Re: [gdm-list] Adding a user to a group on login

Yan:

This sounds like a job for the GDM PreSession and PostSession scripts.
You can learn about these interfaces in the GDM documentation.  Not
sure what version of GDM you are using, but the following link has docs
for various versions of GDM:

   http://library.gnome.org/admin/gdm/

The PreSession and PostSession scripts are run as the root user before
and after the session starts/ends.  So it is a good place to set/unset
permissions as needed.  Note that the USER and USERNAME environment
variables should be available when these scripts are run, so you can
figure out what user is logging in/out.

Brian

I'm trying to work something out.... It's not really a gdm question, but....

I've got specific resources tied to specific X screens. So for example Display :3 gets /dev/scd1.

I'd like to set it up so that all the resources are available to a group, and the user loging in to that display is made a member of the group and then removed on logout.

So for example:

yan selene:~$ ls -l /dev/scd?
brw-rw---- 1 root   display2 11, 0 15. pro 09.03 /dev/scd0
brw-rw---- 1 root   display3 11, 1 15. pro 09.03 /dev/scd1

So if I were to log into a session with Display :3, I would be make a member of group display3, and could access that resource. On logout, I would be removed. Also, if gdm is killed, I would be removed. I really want something temporary; I don't want to muck about with /etc/group if at all possible.

Any ideas?

--Yan