[gdm-list] Docs for GDM 2.24

Jon, Ray & Others:

Over the past few weeks, I have worked to rewrite the GDM documentation
so it is relevant to the new version of GDM.  I pretty much rewrote much
of the document, and I think I have captured most of the information
that should be there.  The documentation is much shorter now.  Mostly
because many configuration options have been removed and the gdmgreeter
XML theming section has been removed.

I took this opportunity to reorganize the documentation a bit so I think
it is more clear and easy to understand.

I have attached two tarballs.  One is the diff file which can be
applied to SVN head so that the documentation is built.  The other is
the documentation in HTML format, which I think is easier to read and
review.

There are still a number of things which I think need to be discussed,
things I am unsure about, or things I think Jon or Ray would probably be
better at explaining which should be discussed in the docs.  I have
marked these with "TODO" in the docs.  Would you be able to help finish
up documenting these areas?

The only TODO that I didn't mark in the docs, which might be good to
discuss would be to explain how to write your own greeter.  Since one
of the selling points of the new GDM is that this should be possible,
it would be good to have the interfaces necessary to do this documented.
However, this might not be necessary for the 2.24 release.

If you are uncomfortable editing the SGML directly, I am happy to update
the gdm.xml file if you can provide me with the ASCII text.

I would also appreciate it if others could review the docs.  If there
are any comments about how to further improve the documentation, that
would be great to hear about.

Since the GNOME 2.23 hard string freeze is September 1st, I think it
would be ideal if we could have this finished by then.  That is only
a few days away, so I hope we can work together quickly to finish this
up.

Brian