Re: [gdm-list] gdm in background

Hi Patryk,

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 10:37 AM, Patryk Zawadzki <patrys pld-linux org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having trouble forcing gdm to launch nicely into the background.
> As we have a policy of launching stuff from rc-scripts (as opposed to
> inittab), this currently breaks gdm.
>
> If run normally, the binary blocks until the process exits (which
> freezes the init scripts and breaks the system start).
>
> If run by 'start-stop-daemon -b' to force it to fork, it just dies
> claiming too many fatal X errors occured (but Xorg log is clean).
>
> What is the preferred way to launch it as a service if we can't use
> inittab? (We are also preparing to move to upstart which makes inittab
> obsolete)

In 2.22+ GDM no longer forks into the background (daemonizes) by
default.  I'm not sure why you want to launch from rc scripts but it
should work provided that you put GDM in the background and the system
has ttys defined by then.

inittab and upstart are the typical ways that GDM is launched on linux
based systems.

Are there any errors in the GDM log files: /var/log/gdm?

Thanks,
Jon