Re: [gdm-list] idea about a11y for the new GDM (was onboard and mousetweaks...)

Hello Brian,

First of all, thanks for your reply.

At 9:57 AM -0500 9/27/07, Brian Cameron wrote:
Instead of making GDM launch a specific program, it could indicate what Assistive Technology to launch. GDM would for example only tell to start the onscreen keyboard, leaving it to a sort of "Preferred Application"-Setting to decide whether to start gok, onboard, xvkb,...

One complication about this approach is that the GDM user does not have
currently use GConf where I think these settings are currently set.  I
suppose we could make GDM depend on GConf to get these settings, but
is it worth adding a new dependency for this?  The new D-Bus version
of GDM does use GConf, so perhaps this is a moot question.  :)  But
it probably makes sense to do this work in the D-Bus branch rather
than bothering to add GConf as a dependency in the current stable
version.

Sorry if I did not say it explicitely in my previous email: my idea, if sensible, was aimed for the new D-Bus branch. I agree with you that it does not make sense to introduce completely new features to the current stable branch as it is going to be phased out in a not to distant future.

Well, GDM would need to have a program that talks to GConf to figure
out what the preferred applications are.  The GDM GUI programs could
either do this directly, or there could be a helper program that the
GUI programs talk to in order to launch such programs.

I think that these GUI programms wwwwshould not only be able read the preferred applications setting, it should also be able to change the settings.

If you also are interested in enhancing GDM to launch AT programs
in more novel ways (e.g. by directly integrating them into GDM), then
we should discuss.

I looked for any standards on the Internet about how the different Assistive Technologies should be started, but I was not able to find something really useful yet. Now I wonder if any standards exists, and if they do exist, whether they are Desktop or even OS independent.

I think historically, only gnopernicus, dasher, orca and GOK have
existed.  I believe orca has pretty much replaced gnopernicus.  So
there hasn't been much overlap until now that we have onscreen.

In other words, if there is not much to choose from, a preferred applications setting will not make much sense...

Anyway, as you said, first the effort should go into enabling Assistive Technology in the new branch.

Have a nice day.

Francesco