Re: [gdm-list] gdm --no-console + X-Server from Windows does

Joachim:

 >  Joachim:
You might try updating to the latest GDM 2.18 version if you can, since
there have been some XDMCP fixes in the latest code.
I would have updated, but (as I wrote):

./configure
checking for XML::Parser... configure: error: XML::Parser perl module is required for intltool

Refer here for help fixing this issue:

http://www.karakas-online.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3915

I cannot get that module, CPAN refused to install it.
(some hours of time finding WHY it refused...)
Currently I am frustrated again with OpenSource, the amount of time it costs to "just get things work" due to dependencies which do not say what they depend on or what is missing makeing it hard, tough I still love debian for the easy install of missing things. In this chase: libexpat was missing, apt-get install libexpat1-dev, and not just libexpat1. The documentation on http://www.gnome.org/projects/gdm/docs.html misses an info which packets are reuqired to compile (i.e.) gdm, takes quite some time to recurse everything by hand, but I am getting forward. I like the clean directory structure at http://ftp.acc.umu.se/pub/gnome/sources/, a BIG + for that. I hope not to get stuck again like 5 days ago. If I missed an according page with such lists (and in what order to compile), please say.

The intltool library is a low-level dependency of GNOME, and most
distros should include it in a form that works.  Not sure which distro
you are using, but perhaps they aren't doing a good job of providing
you with a distribution that you can easily do development with.
Though if you are using an old version of Linux and trying to do
development work with the latest GNOME bits, sometimes you run into
problems like this.

Perhaps the GDM docs could be updated to highlight intltool
dependencies, but this is really a GNOME-wide issue not just GDM.

This is my problem too, This is the first time ever I am not capable to make it work (my first Linux was on kernel 1.3.13 and X over LAN worked), but I am not eager to switch away from gdm. I will return if I get stuck hard again, but it looks good, the amount of required packages is a lot larger than expected, but ./configure says nicely what is missing (unlike perl).

I wish you the best of luck in tracking down the problem.  As I've said
you might find more joy with using the latest versions of GDM since there have been XDMCP related fixes there. So I hope you are able to
work through the issues.

Note that if you don't care about internationalization you could
probably hack GDM to avoid using INTLTOOL completely just to get things
working for yourself, though this might be a bit of work also.

Brian