Re: [gdm-list] --enable-ipv6=no by default, any reason for that?

Sebastien:

The default value for the --enable-ipv6 configure option is "no". I've
looked at the packages from some distribution (Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora,
Mandriva) and it looks like they don't use the ipv6. Would a build with
ipv6 work fine on an ipv4 installation?

Yes, should.  The code falls back to ipv4 if ipv6 isn't on the system.

> Any reason why ipv6 is not used by default if that's a runtime option?

Because when the code was written (December 2003) it wasn't tested
enough for George Lebl to feel comfortable having it "on" by default.

> Do you have any opinion of either
if distribution should use that option for their standard package?

We've been using it "on" at Sun for a few years now and people seem
to be happy with it.  I've gotten some feedback from people outside of
Sun who say they use it and it works for them, but nothing very
official.

If people think its ready to be "on" by default instead of "off", I
am happy to change it for a future GDM release.

Brian