[gdm-list] Solved (was Re: Weird gdm screwup preventing logout & new programs from being launched)

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 21:02:29 +0100, Sam Morris wrote:
> Basically, GDM's 'switch user' function does not work; and once I have
> tried to use it once, I can no longer log out, or launch any new
> programs such as gnome-terminal or xterm (strace says that they get
> stuck waiting on a futex).

I've solved this. In case anyone else ever has a similar problem, it was
caused by my firewall script dropping all IPv6 packets; it appears that
gdm wanted to connect to an X server on ip6-localhost. Once I altered my
script to allow ipv6 packets to/from the 'lo' interface, user switching
worked again!

--
Sam Morris
http://robots.org.uk/

PGP key id 1024D/5EA01078
3412 EA18 1277 354B 991B  C869 B219 7FDB 5EA0 1078