[gdm-list] "Your session lasted less than ten seconds" error

Hi all,

After upgrading from Fedora Core 4 to Core 5, I can't log into X. This
error message is displayed:

  Your session lasted less than ten seconds.
  There may be something wrong with your installation
  or you may be out of diskspace.

  Try logging in a failsafe session to see if you can fix this problem.

It also displays an error message about a library:

  /usr/bin/gnome-session
  /usr/lib/libgnomevfs-2.so.0
  symbol lookup error
  undefined symbol: g_thread [...]

and refers to the .xsession-error file, but doesn't actually write
anything to it.

I have gdm-2.14.0-1, gnome-session-2.14.0-1, gnome-vfs2-2.14.0-1 etc installed.

I had auto-login set up, and I tried disabling that by editing
/etc/gdm/custom.conf , but that didn't solve the problem, only stopped
the ten-second error msg from displaying; I still get left waiting
with the cursor and a blank screen.

Any ideas what might be going wrong?

Thanks...

--