[gdm-list] Layered config files in gdm

Hi! I'd like to achieve a similar solution for gdm as we have for gconf
with /etc/gconf2/2/path.  This is useful for distributions because we
can ship upstream defaults, provide our own defaults, and then look at
the users configuration file after that.

Where I'm tripping up is in gdm_get_custom_config.  Right now there's
handling to cope with GDM_OLD_CONF versus GDM_CUSTOM_CONF.  What I'd
been thinking is that by default, it should ship a config file
(/etc/gdm/gdmconfig.conf):

/usr/share/gdm/gdm.conf
/etc/gdm.conf
/etc/gdm.conf-custom

Where the last one to be read in that exists is where the custom
modifications get put.  A distro could change this to be:

/usr/share/gdm/gdm.conf
/usr/share/ubuntu-artwork/gdm/gdm.conf
/etc/gdm.conf-custom

I'd like feedback before I dive into this.  I'd like to offer this for
inclusion upstream.

Tks,
Jeff Bailey

* Canonical Ltd * Ubuntu Service and Support * +1 514 691 7221 *

Linux for Human Beings.