Re: [gdm-list] problem with gdm on fedora

Everything wokrs OK on my local display, but when I try to connect
remotely (using X-Deep Xserver for Widnows) I can't do anything. The
Xserver discovers xdmcp on my linux computer and connects OK, but after
that nothing happens. There's no desktop loaded, I see just the gray
background of the Xserver.

Could someone instruct me what to do? How can I figure out what's the
problem? Is there any log where I can look up what's happening?

What do you see in your xorg log? It should be in /var/log. Also, any interesting error messages in those log files in /var/log/gdm? How about in the user's $HOME/.xsession-errors file? Perhaps turn on
enable=true in the [debug] section of your configuration and restart
GDM.  Any interesting messages to your syslog (/var/log/messages)?
Turn back off debug when done collecting debug data.

When logged into a session, set the environment variable
DOING_GDM_DEVELOPMENT=1 and try running /usr/lib/gdmlogin or
/usr/lib/gdmgreeter and do these work okay?  When the Xserver gray
background starts, GDM should next try to start the GUI loging
program, so perhaps it is having trouble starting for some reason
(missing library dependency)?

If none of those are useful, it might be necessary to debug the code
a bit and see why the login program is not starting.

Brian

P.S. In /var/log/gdm/ I have only this files:

:0.log
:0.log.1
:0.log.2
:0.log.3