[gdm-list] adding a command to externaly fill the username field

Hi,

I'd like to be able to fill the username field externaly.
I've tried to add a new fifo command to do that without success.
I've added a GDM_SOP_DOLOGIN that takes the slave pid and the login
name as arguments.
Looking at how GDM_SOP_COMMANDS are handled in
gdm.c:gdm_handle_message I've duplicated the GDM_SOP_LOGIN test and
tried to use
d->login=g_strdup (p);
send_slave_command (d, GDM_NOTIFY_DOLOGIN);

The slave is able to receive the message, but doesn't get the login.
Anyway, it's seems that's not the good place to interact with
pam_authenticate.

At the moment, rather than doing that, i'm considering adding some
stuff in the greeter so that it tells gdm to log with a given
username. But i'm not sure this is the best way.

Before I continue to I prefer to ask here, if there could be a
better/simpler way to do that.

Any advice ?

Would it be better to write a pam library to do that ?