Re: [gdm-list] authorisation mis-message

"Server Authorisation Directory (daemon/ServAuthDir) is set to /var/gdm but is not owned by user "gdm" and group "gdm". Please correct the ownership or gdm configuration in .... gdm.conf and restart gdm"

I type intermittently between repeated X crashes. My /var/gdm IS "gdm:gdm 750" as specified (though another lengthy doc says ServAuthDir should be "root:gdm 1770" but that doesn't fix the problem either!). Similar problems googled (& on this mail-list) receive similar advice -- and perhaps remain unsolved just because changing ownership and permissions doesn't quite do it?

The error message is wrong.  It should say that ServAuthDir should be
owned by root and have group ownership of gdm.  I corrected the
message in CVS head so it is correct.

The directory should have 1770 perms, though you should get a different
error message that says so if the permissions are wrong.

Yes, I inadvertantly altered ownership and permissions in the first place, solving another problem, but causing this one. So, trying to recover the required settings -- but they cannot simply be the ones given in the mis-message!

Any thoughts about what ELSE needs to be done would be helpful.

gdm-list mailing list
gdm-list gnome org
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gdm-list