Re: [gdm-list] Accidental password-in-username-field detection and obfuscation?

David:

Note that this option is not supported in GDM.  This feature is added
by your distro so you should probably work with them to resolve this
issue.

I would never recommend such a feature in GDM without a gdm.conf key
available to turn this off.  In fact, I'd think it should be off by
default.  Perhaps your distro provides a gdm.conf key to turn off a
feature that makes GDM simply less secure.  If not, I'd recommend that
you file a bug and ask them to do so.

Brian

On a certain popular operating system, the username of the last user to log in is the default, and and the cursor starts in the password field. So I just type in my password and hit enter. This often causes mixups when I login to my Linux desktops. I'll sometimes accidentally start typing my long, cryptic password in the username field, where anyone could see it.

It might be helpful to obscure the username if the user types password-like username. It could be triggered by a non-letter followed by a letter in their username, or a lowercase letter followed by an uppercase letter in a username that does not begin with uppercase. They could have a username that looks like a password if they really wanted, but GDM would "***" it out like it does the password field, by default.