[gdm-list] Face recognition for linux login ...

Hello,

First of all I have to introduce myself, I'm a Computer Vision
researcher interested in human computer interaction. And
I apologize if this is a bit off-topic (although it could not be).

Some time ago I asked for advice in the gdm-list about
implementing face recognition for linux login on gdm:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gdm-list/2004-September/msg00001.html

And Bob Doolittle sugested to implement such a thing as a PAM module:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gdm-list/2004-September/msg00016.html

Anyhow, we are now developing the face recognition driven linux login
(on a master thesis) using a PAM module. The problem we have now is
how to deal with the Xserver security (when using Xauthority) in order to show
a graphical window with the video aside the gdm login window.

What we are doing is to fork a process in the PAM module to run
the face recognition loop on the the child process. And when we try to show
a simple graphical window the X server don't allow us to connect ... we
are not even logged into the system and we are not using the rigth Xauthority
magic cookie !!

And the question is, what is the unix user from which the gdm is running?
what can we do to launch a window from a process aside the gdm login
window?

Please, answer me directly as I'm not in the list.

Many thanks for any advice.
Jose M. Buenaposada.

Jose Miguel Buenaposada Biencinto
Escuela Superior de Ciencias Experimentales y Tecnologia (ESCET).
Universidad Rey Juan Carlos
C/ Tulipan, s/n. E-28933 Mostoles. Madrid (Spain)
phone: (+34) 914888129
email: josemiguel buenaposada urjc es
web  : http://www.ia.escet.urjc.es/~jmbuena
Yo he sido precario FPU: http://www.precarios.org