[gdm-list] Request for info: number of logged users

Hello all,

I'm interested in creating a patch for gdm to implement the following behaviour:
only when there are no logged in users into a machine (that gdm knows about...)
should the menu options for halting, rebooting and putting to sleep a machine be
available. Would this be interesting for gdm upstream?

Anyway, looking through (a little part) of the code I couldn't find a way to
know how many users does the gdm daemon think that are logged in. We could hack
this parsing the system's utmp file but that doesn't seem a clean option. So, is
there currently a way of knowing how many users are logged in?

We also should keep in mind what kind of users are we talking about. We can
distinguish between at least 3 kinds:

1. users that logged in such a way that gdm wasn't involved (this would require
   reading utmp I guess)
2. users that logged using gdm but remotely.
3. users that logged using gdm locally.

Dealing with just cases 2 and 3 would be OK.

Any pointers into relevant parts of the code would be highly apreciated since
gdm seems to be quite a beast and I don't have the time currently to get very
intimate with it.

Thanks,

Rui