[gdm-list] Re: PostSession script support fades out from 2.4 to 2.6?

On Friday 19 August 2005 04:10 pm, Brian Cameron wrote:
> Jerry/George:

[ deleted ]

> Jerry, could you check to see if you backout George's fix for bug
> #126071 and see if that also fixes the problem.  Not running PostSession
> on logout seems much worse than sometimes not unmounting home directories.
>
> Brian

Commenting out the fix for bug 126071 leads to the following interesting behavior:

The PostSession script does get called.
You still get an xioerror, but it happens *after* the PostSession is complete.

Sep 15 10:17:11 pug logger: You are in the PostSession script.
Sep 15 10:17:11 pug gdm(pam_unix)[2576]: session closed for user jgd
Sep 15 10:17:11 pug gdm[2576]: gdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error - Restarting :0

Test procedure
1) Put '/usr/bin/logger "You are in the PostSession script."' in /etc/X11/gdm/PostSession/Default
2) Turn on debug in gdm.conf
3) Install revised gdm with 126071 fix removed (and my workaround)
4) reboot
5) log in
6) ctl-alt-backspace
7) log back in and inspect the syslog (see above).

I think, but I'm not certain, that the xioerror is now triggered later in slave.c, when gdm_verify_cleanup(d) is called.  So, you still
get the xioerror signal, but it happens later.

So, my "ignore xioerror" hack lets you trigger the xioerror before PostSession, and ignore it. Commenting out whack clients
makes the xioerror happen after PostSession (provided nothing else accessed the display structure while we were getting there).
I think mine's a little more deterministic (shorter race window), but I don't like it that much.

We definitely need to find a different repair to the open filehandle problem.

As for what to do w.r.t. the current source, I agree with you that not running PostSession is *much* worse than leaving an open
filehandle that keeps an automounter from releasing a home directory.  I have no idea how to fix the interaction with pam.

HTH