[gdm-list] Re: gdm and the action menu when using a remote login (XDMCP)

Hallo all,

after having a quick look at the source code, I found greeter_system.c
and patched greeter_system_append_system_menu():

        /* should never be allowed by the UI */
        if ( ! GdmSystemMenu ||
            ve_string_empty (g_getenv ("GDM_IS_LOCAL")))
                return;

to allow the system menu even for remote connections. Clicking on the
actions button has no effect but F10 reveals shutdown and reboot.

After patching daemon/gdm.c, the system will shut down properly.

Two questions remain at last:

1. Why does the actions menu not pop up?

2. Obviously remote shutdown was disabled intentionally by the
authors. Are you feeling strongly against a configuration option to
allow remote shutdown without logging in? In this case I would stop
here and do not attempt to streamline my patches for inclusion into
mainline.

--
Felix