[gdm-list] hacking gdm

Hi!
I would like that gdm shows me which actions i want to do, more detailed.
Like rebooting a new kernel or OS. with kdm and lilo it is possible.
With lilo -R label, i can boot the label. With grub i need a modified
menu.lst and grub-set-default number. I was looking in the gdm to see how it
could work but i dont get it. Is there any flow diagram for gdm? or i do
need to use gdb?
thx in advance