Re: SV: [gdm-list] Metacity dual screen problem with gnome and nvidia twinview (tv-out)

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 ulf ljungdahl ssabox com wrote:

Ah, ok. I thought I start with the gdm-list since GDM spawns X11 and =
chooses WM.
Well, the scenario is this:
1. In an xterm om screen 0.0 (monitor) I do "export DISPLAY:0.1" and =
then start mplayer with i.e. -fs param (full screen). This works =
exellent and displays video on the TV in fullscreen mode.
2. Switch workspace on the monitor. This causes screen 0.1 (TV) to also =
switch workspace (but only when mplayer is running there) and break =
(minimize) mplayers fullscreen-mode. Very anoying. =)
Having 4 workspaces on the TV seems pretty unecessary also.

Hmmmm, maybe metacity uses something like "~/.xxxx/init" to, worth =
checking.

I'm not familiar with metacity. Ask google about configuring it.
You could also try some gnome support channels, like #gnome on irc.gnome.org.

Btw, whats the differens between fluxbox and metacity?

There are many differences... too many to try and enumerate. Perhaps the simplest is that they have different goals.

And is fluxbox = "compatible" with the rest of the gnome-suite? (tried to switch from = sawfish to some other WM a long time ago (before they switched to = metacity) and gnome started to whine about things that it didn't like)

I believe it's compatible, but I haven't tried... people in the #fluxbox IRC channel on irc.freenode.net are very helpful if you have problems.

Cheers,

 - Simon

Thanks for the input
Ulf

Hi Ulf,

I can't speak for Metacity, but can speak for X/WMs in general (or =
fluxbox
specifically).

It is the window manager that creates "workspaces" - they are purely
virtual, think of them as just several sets of windows that are =
displayed
at the same time.

So, it comes down to the window manager for linking them. I think I can
fairly confidently say that it has nothing to do with gdm...

I can speak for fluxbox, and say that workspaces on different X screens
are treated separately, and you can have different numbers of workspaces =

on each screen. I would expect other WMs to be the same, because
you should use Xinerama if you want them treated identically.

The part that puzzles me about your problem is this bit "but only if I
have mplayer playing video there". What does it do if you don't have
mplayer playing?

To help determine where a bug/feature lies (e.g. in metacity or =
mplayer),
you can try swapping your window manager. If you try fluxbox, you can =
edit
the ~/.fluxbox/init file and change "session.screen1.workspaces" to 1.

The only other real variable I can think is whether you are using
xinerama, but if you're definitely using display ":0.1", then you're =
not,
so we can rule it out as a complication.

So... that ramble is the best I can do, because I can't quite put =
together
the whole story of interaction between things, and the topic isn't =
related
to GDM.

Cheers,

 - Simon