Solved (better) Re: x restarts after halt in gdm and displayes ugly screen

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 17:36:15 -0500
Brian Cameron <Brian Cameron Sun COM> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> > I'm running gdm on FreeBSD5.2 on a laptop and I am having the following problem:
> >
> > When the machine is halted from the GDM Greeter, the Greeter stops but X restarts.After a certain point the display turns into chaos; nevertheless a complete shutdown is performed and the machine turns itself off.
> > When I do a reboot, the Greeter stops and X does not restart; thus the normal shutdown commands are visible and the reboot is performed.
> >
> > Does anybody have any idea why X does restart on Halt command?
> >
> > configurationfile gdm.conf is attached
>
> Note that in your gdm.conf file your HaltCommand is defined as follows:
>
>    HaltCommand=/sbin/shutdown -p now;/usr/sbin/shutdown -p now
>
> Not sure why the shutdown command isn't doing what you want, but perhaps
> you might check what the best shutdown command for FreeBSD is and use that
> instead.
>
> Perhaps changing this to "/usr/sbin/init 5" or "/usr/sbin/init 0" might work better.
>
> Brian

Dear all,

having poked around and found that "/sbin/init 0" indeed does a shutdown, a mail (on another topic) from the freebsd mailinglist, about synchronizing disks at shutdown, made me rethink the solution.

"/sbin/halt -p" does shutdown properly *and* does do a synching of the disks before power down.

Regards,

Rob de Graaf
rdegraaf at rdegraaf dot nl