Re: Can't add a local server

Thanks for swift reply!

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 19:23:05 +0000
George <jirka 5z com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 04:34:37AM +1000, Bob Hepple wrote:
> > I also tried gdmflexiserver but got a similar result. In that case, access
> > to :0.0 was granted and the windows for the third server (C-M-F9) appeared
> > on :0.0!!! Rather unpleasant.
> >
> > I used to do this regularly with xdm but I now need the session choice
> > support of gdm - or kdm, I suppose.
> >
> > I'm using gdm-2.6.0.6 on gentoo linux with xorg-x11-6.8.0-r3 on a 2.6.9
> > kernel.
> >
> > Of course, this could be a problem with xorg ....
>
> This is most likely a gentoo bug.  I know slackware is braindead as well and
> a bunch of places assume :0 as the local x server.  Check the Xsession script
> that GDM uses and see if anyplace they reset the DISPLAY env var.
>
> It could be in some other script as well, perhaps the /etc/profile and
> friends.

... that would do it, I guess. I noticed that console logins also get
DISPLAY set to :0.0 which is just wrong (should be unset).

I did a recursive grep on /etc and $HOME for "DISPLAY=" and came up with
nothing interesting. Maybe there's something sneakier going on like bash
indirection. I'll keep looking and post here if I find anything...

later ...

ahah - that was it! a braindead entry in /etc/security/pam_env.conf that
sets DISPLAY. I commented out the line

#DISPLAY        DEFAULT=${REMOTEHOST}:0.0 OVERRIDE=${DISPLAY}

and all is well!!!!

Cheers

Bob

--