Re: [gdm-list] Keep X server from graphical boot

On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 10:24:31PM +0200, Remco Poelstra wrote:
> Starting an X server takes a reasonable amount of time. Is it perhaps
> possible to take over the X server that is started for the graphical
> boot? Now I'm waiting for two X servers, while it seems to me that I
> only have to wait for one. It would even be better if it could come
> close to Windows XP (yes, Windows is getting cool these days), where the
> same X server is used even when I switch user (multiple graphical logins).

There is code in gdm to do soemthing similar.  Instead of "taking over" an X
server which is not possible, the way this can be solved is starting gdm with
a specific argument (I can't remember what this was, but gdm --help should
give some clues :)) which starts an X server and then doesn't do anything
until instructed.  This way you can have gdm own the X server but delay the
real gdm startup until after the boot completes.  I don't think this feature
is used by any distro yet.

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>