Re: XDMCP related issues

On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 12:37:24PM +0100, Sven Herzberg wrote:
> Hi there,
>
>   I just finished setting up my new home network. Unfortunately I don't
> have as many displays as I've got machines and I can't afford buying a
> KVW-Switch yet.
>
>   So I think of using XDMCP to access all my machines. This brought me
> up to these 2 issues:
>
>      1. How do I start the xdmcpchooser in an Xnest window or a second X
>         server? I was only able to access the xdmcp chooser from the
>         first X server as Xnest (as well as a second X server on vt08)
>         exited when I wanted to open the xdmcpchooser.

Run gdmXnestchooser that does all the magic

Basically to get a chooser, just run the X server with "-indirect hostname"

>      2. Is it possible to encrypt xdmcp? Of course it is if I use SSH
>         tunneling, but I don't think that that's what I want.

Nope, XDMCP itself can be done in a safe way but it only sets up the X
connection which is just always run over the clear, thus making encryting the
xdmcp protocol useless.  If you need encryption, you must use ssh

GeorgE

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   Where all men think alike, no one thinks very much.