Re: gdm ui review

El vie, 18-06-2004 a las 17:50, -0700, Chookij Vanatham escribió:
> Hi,

Hi

first of all, sorry for not answerer you last mail, I have it marked as
pending, and I will answer it soon :-(

> > On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 11:20:09AM -0700, Chookij Vanatham wrote:
> > > Just curiosity. I assume that "Gnome Language and Culture capplet
> > > (by Carlos)" is going in to Gnome 2.8. Would that be any change in gdm ui ?
> >
> > Does it handle ~/.dmrc? (It should if it doesn't)
> As I remembered last time (3-4 months ago when I was asking Carlos how to do
> it), No, it doesn't use ~/.dmrc. It uses gconf.

A brief of the procedure is here:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2004-January/msg00504.html

.dmrc will be used only for non GNOME sessions.

> Basically, after users select "language" from this capplet,
> the capplet will save the value by using gconf and the idea is to
> add little change into gnome-session. So, when users login again/later,
> gnome-session will use gconf_client_get_list(,GCONF_LOCALIZATION_ROOT_KEY
> "/languages") to get "language" which will be the new language users want.

that's it, but we could add there different variables for MESSAGES,
CURRENCY, NUMBERS, etc..

> gnome-session/main.c
> --------------------
> static char *
> get_usr_saved_lang (void)
> {
>   client = gconf_client_get_default ();
>   gconf_client_add_dir (client, GCONF_LOCALIZATION_ROOT_KEY,
> 		GCONF_CLIENT_PRELOAD_ONELEVEL, NULL);
>   langs = gconf_client_get_list (client,
> 		GCONF_LOCALIZATION_ROOT_KEY "/languages",
>                                          GCONF_VALUE_STRING, NULL);
>   for (cur_lang = langs; cur_lang != NULL; cur_lang = cur_lang->next) {
>        locale = g_strdup(cur_lang->data);
>   }
>   return locale;
> }
>
> /* Set language environment variables based on what GDM is setting
>  */
> static void
> set_lang (void)
> {
>
>   if ((usr_saved_lang = get_usr_saved_lang()) != NULL) {
>       env_string = g_strconcat ("LANG=", usr_saved_lang, NULL);
>       putenv (env_string);
>
>       g_free (usr_saved_lang);
>   } else {
>       gdm_lang = g_getenv("GDM_LANG");
>   }
> }
>

> > If that's the case it does change it a bit but that's the applet's ui
> > and not gdms :)
> >
> Well! What I understood is that, gdm's language selection menu is still
> there but there is a little change for the case of gnome-session.

True.

> If users want to change their's session language setting, they need to
> use "Gnome language capplet" to do it. So, when users login and select
> "Last" from language selection, gnome-session will set that language
> for users. In this sense, there is a bit of need (but not necessary)
> to change gdm not to read ~/.dmrc for language for gnome-session.

There is not need about such change, George told me that he sets a
variable (I don't remember it now, I should check it) to know if the
language selected from GDM is the last one or a new one.

If the user selected the last language used, we apply the gconf
settings, if instead of that, the user changed the selected locale,
then, we apply that selected language for that session without any gconf
change as a temporal setting.

> If users select "Language" from gdm's menu, I think, gdm needs some
> change to use gconf to get user session's language (by Capplet)
> which will be used in the pop-up window telling users that they
> are currently using different language but, additionally, telling
> users that this current language won't be saved/recored as
> user session's language previously used (or may be, gdm can just use
> gconf to save the new value instead).

That's something to talk with George, but last time we talked he told me
that he don't think it's necessary such change but I don't remember it
correctly, I should look at the IRC logs for the conversation. But I'm
busy at this moment, tomorrow I will fly to London and I'm finishing
some open things here in Spain. As soon as I find the conversation I
will send you it.

> For non-gnome-session, ex: KDE, ..etc, thers is no change needed
> in gdm's behavior.

True.

> If my understanding is correct, seems like there is no change in gdm UI
> (the change is just transparent to users) but I'm not sure if
> this is the definited decision/intention on what to do between gdm and
> the capplet.

It's just what I wrote on January.

> I also cced "Carlos" for this topic.
>

> > Also I think James Cape has an applet for session switching which he wanted
> > to integrate for 2.8, or perhaps get into 2.8 separately.  I'm ccing him.
> >
> Would this be "on-the-fly" session switching ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chookij V.

Cheers.