Re: Keyboard freezes after relaunch

On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 05:11:30PM +0300, graffiti bibby ath cx wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I have recently updated to the latest version of gdm that I could find on my gentoo
> repository, that is GDM 2.4.4.7 . At first I had trouble getting used to the
> .desktop files, but then overcame that problem. However another old problem has
> arised.
> Normally GDM is set to AutoLogin, and logs me to my default WM. When I logout in
> order to change WMs, the keyboard instantly freezes. Nothing works,
> including the NumLock keys. The mouse works fine though, and I am able to restart
> the computer with it.
> In the previous version of GDM, I had solved this problem by tweaking the gdm.conf
> file. I had set the AlwayRestartServer variable to false and this has never
> happened gain. In the new gdm.conf, this was set to false by default.
>
> What should I do to prevent my keyboard from feezing? Is this a problem with GDM,
> or with XFree? I am clueless as to how I should edit gdm.conf...

It looks more like an X server problem, especially if it was previously
solved by AlwaysRestartServer=false.  It means that your server has troubles
reiniting the keyboard somehow especially if killed and restarted.  I would
try Using Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to whack the server and see if that gets your
keyboard back.

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   History teaches us that men and nations behave wisely