Re: bug in gdm with font size in themes?

On Wed, 2004-07-14 at 16:58, George wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 12:37:22PM +0100, Anton Altaparmakov wrote:
> > Surely specifying a font of "Sans 24" should look the same size on all
> > screen resolutions, should it not?
> >
> > Has anyone else seen this problem?
> >
> > Any ideas for how to fix it?
>
> Well what GDM does is this:
>
>   if (gdm_wm_screen.width <= 800 &&
>       gdm_wm_screen.width > 640)
>     size_reduction = PANGO_SCALE_SMALL;
>   else if (gdm_wm_screen.width <= 640)
>     size_reduction = PANGO_SCALE_X_SMALL;

Yes, thanks.  I spotted this about an hour ago, too.  (-:

I removed the whole scaling stuff from the gdm source and recompiled.
The fonts now look much better!  (-:  Still not quite the same
(especially the location of items on the themed screen is not quite
right but that is my fault as I sometimes specify the location of an
item using +/- SOME_NR_PIXELS) but a big improvement on before.  The
fonts are still smaller on 640x480 than they are on 1280x1024.  Maybe I
need to put the scaling stuff back in but introduce scaling factors >
1.0 so the fonts grow and become the right size...  (-;

> Thn it multiplies the size by 'size_reduction'.  I suppose the problem is
> that it is likely that someone actually fixed the canvas to follow the dpi
> sanely and the same size now actually refers to the same size on all display
> resolutions, which it most certainly did not previously.  (Actually in my
> experience, the font size on the gnome canvas was semi random depending on
> the precise version you were using ... evil ... evil ... gnome canvas).
>
> Which version of gnome canvas are you using (and which versions of all the
> other gnome components)?

gnome-canvas seems to be 2.2.1.

This is a SuSE 9.0 based system with some updates from SuSE 9.1 and some
of our own PWF Linux packages.

Below is the output of "rpm -qa | grep -i gnome | sort" with the -devel
and -doc rpms removed.  Also, I removed the clearly unrelated packages
like xmms.

gnome-applets2-2.2.2-104
gnome-audio-2.0.0-21
gnome-common-1.2.4-466
gnome-desktop-2.2.2-111
gnome-filesystem-0.1-117
gnome-icon-theme-1.0.9-20
gnome-libs-1.4.1.7-503
gnome-media2-2.2.2-65
gnome-mime-data-2.2.1-101
gnome-panel-2.2.2.2-65
gnome-pilot-2.0.10-86
gnome-print-0.36-608
gnome-session-2.2.2-102
gnome-spell2-1.0.5-93
gnome-system-monitor-2.0.5-107
gnome-terminal-2.2.2-86
gnome-themes-2.2.2-80
gnome-utils2-2.2.3-63
gnome-vfs-1.0.5-615
gnome-vfs-extras-0.99.11-91
gnome-vfs2-2.2.5-110
gnomeicu-0.98.126-234
gnomemm-1.2.4-70
libgail-gnome-1.0.2-130
libgnome-2.2.3-62
libgnomecanvas-2.2.1-95
libgnomedb-0.91.0-84
libgnomeprint-2.2.1.3-113
libgnomeprintui-2.2.1.3-105
libgnomeui-2.2.2-54
libgsf-gnome-1.8.1-115

Best regards,

	Anton
Linux NTFS maintainer / IRC: #ntfs on irc.freenode.net
WWW: http://linux-ntfs.sf.net/, http://www-stu.christs.cam.ac.uk/~aia21/