How does gdm find its gdm.conf file under SuSE 8.2?

I've recently installed gdm under SuSE 8.2 and it doesn't seem to be finding changes I've made to gdm.conf; I've edited /etc/opt/gnome2/gdm/gdm.conf but the changes don't seem to take effect, after restarting gdm or rebooting the system altogether.

How does gdm find gdm.conf?  $KDEDIR does not appear to be set on my system.

I'm trying to get the gdmchooser to show up in the login dialog, so I can select a remote system via xdmcp. (gdmchooser does find the remote systems when run by itself from a command line, so that part is ok).

I've basically followed the instructions in gdm hand book, i.e.

[servers]
0=Chooser
[greeter]
ChooserButton=true
[chooser]
AllowAdd=true
[server-Chooser]
name=Chooser server
command=/usr/X11R6/bin/X
flexible=true
chooser=true
[server-Standard]
chooser=false

(The manual says use '[server-Standard] chooser=false', I tried it 'true' as well.)

I'd expect to get the gdmchooser and get a chooser button in the greeter, but keep getting the standard greeter with no chooser button.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

bw