I broke my GDM, please help

Hello everyone.

I'm running Gentoo, and I (not knowing any better) attempted to install
GDM from source using the usual ./configure --prefix=/usr, make, make
install procedure.  This seems to have broken my GDM beyond my ability
to repair it.  :(   I have tried doing a 'make uninstall' from the
source tree of the gdm that I compiled, then reinstalling the GDM from
Gentoo's package manager (2.4.1.7).  This still didn't fix it, so I
attempted to remove pretty much everything with 'gdm' in it from my
slocate database, then reinstalling GDM.  I'm at a loss as to how to
proceed, if someone has any idea how to fix this, please help.

When I start the gdm daemon, I see X come up briefly, then die with no
error to stdout, stderr, or syslog.  The gdm process stays after X dies,
so I thought I might attempt to manually start a gdmlogin.  All that
comes up is a small window that says my greeter version does not match
the daemon version.  I'm not sure what other info I can provide, so I'll
attach a gzipped strace gdmlogin executing.

Thanks very much in advance, for any help.

--
Curtis Magyar
cumagyar mts net